Sunday, July 12, 2015

Beginning

I don't know what to call myself. A couple of times this weekend, I told people that I'm "an aspiring Android Developer." I guess that's what I am, but I felt like a doofus whenever I said it. I've been studying Android dev, Java and a little web development for months now. I've dabbled a bit with programming in the past, and I really liked it, but I never really committed. About a year ago, I decided that I wanted to make this my career. I want to be happy to go to work. I want to make things that are creative and complex. I want to do things that few other people can. So I went all in. I saved my money, quit my job, and here I am. 

Most of the work I've done so far has been through Team Treehouse. Their Android has been a great foundation for my studying. You basically just make apps of increasing complexity and they guide you through the process step-by-step. I learned an incredible amount of information and it's great to have your completed app at the end of each lesson as a tangible representation of what you've done. 


I've supplemented my studies on treehouse with a great series of java tutorials, a couple challenging courses made by Google, and some game dev tutorials. I've got a bit of an interest in web dev as well, so I've been spending a little time on freecodecamp as well. r/learnprogramming has been an important resource for me too, it's a supportive, and helpful community for anyone with questions about programming.

I know the best way for me to take my knowledge to the next level and get myself ready for a junior dev job or even an apprenticeship, is to make my own apps from scratch. That's what I'm going to be chronicling here. I'm going to build things, I'm going to break things, hopefully I'm going to get better, and hopefully so will my apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment